CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 8, 2008

Yellow Daisy Festival

I have looked forward to going to the Yellow Daisy Festival all year! It takes place the weekend after Labor Day in Stone Mountain Park. Hundreds of vendors (artists, crafters, jam-makers, potters, and everybody in between) come to set up booths. Thousands of people attend every day, and there are always some interesting new things to see. Mom, Casey, and I went Thursday after school. Thursday is the first day it's open, so it has lighter crowds and nothing is sold out yet. I ended up doing quite a bit of Christmas shopping (usually I'm a procrastinator!), so I was very excited. I could not leave without getting me a few little things, though... was there any doubt? At one of the very last booths, we noticed the most amazing thing--- they had taken a piece of rebar, added a few pieces at the bottom to create a few x's, and ended up with something really cool. You stick the welded bottom part in the bottom of a 10" pot and fill the pot with gravel to create a heavy base. Then you start sliding the holes in the bottom of 8" pots (already filled with flowers), tilting the pots as you go. You end up with a really neat potted plant sculpture. I asked the older couple who ran the booth if they had invented this contraption. Apparently, this concept has been around since the late 1800s, but the wife of this wonderful pair had put her own spin on it--- she said that men had designed the other adaptations, and they just don't think like women! She said something about not making it as tall, adding the pots after you've planted the flowers, and filling the bottom with pea gravel. This one was a better design, plus her sister welds everything- making it an all-women operation. I must admit, after putting 2 of these together, it was so simple. Even though I have nowhere near a green thumb, I'm going to try my best to keep these looking good! I'm already planning to use them for some herbs in the spring.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need some belly pictures! I can't believe he will be here in 2 weeks!!